ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: to involve in your development group
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 19:22:14 GMT
Hi Sandeep,
I am delighted to work with you on this project.

I was not sure if I understood you correctly- did you mean to say that you have already tried
using cTAKES and it's components?
If not, you can do an svn checkout of the code and try running the debugger gui from the command
line (or eclipseide) that will allow you to type in plain text and get back the different
structured content (types) that cTAKES produces:
MAVEN_OPTS="-Xmx2g -Xms1g"
mvn -PrunCVD compile
>From the guide: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.0+Developer+Install+Guide

A bit of background:
Apache cTAKES uses SVN for version on control:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/trunk/
Jira for issues tracking:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ctakes
Maven for building and dependency management.
A lot of the developers use Eclipse IDE for their development.
More info on ctakes.apache.org

cTAKES is built on top of the Apache UIMA Framework.  Essentially, cTAKES is a collection
of Annotators (Java Classes) and wired together to into a pipeline.
It's goal in a nutshell is to turn unstructured plain text into structured/normalized form
and specially trained for medical notes.
Right now- the input cTAKES expects would be in plain text form and cTAKES does not have an
OCR component.
cTAKE-189:GSoC:implement OCR/tika to standardize text inputs was an idea to allow cTAKES to
take in any type of input (PDF, Images, Word, XLS, etc.) and pass the text for cTAKES processing.
[I was originally thinking this could be done in some kind of preprocessing, or an optional
Annotator that could be added in the beginning of a pipeline].  There may be some existing
work that could be potentially reused: Apache Tika (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-93
) as well as some open source OCR toolkits (JavaOCR).

About Me:
http://childrenshospital.org/cfapps/research/data_admin/Site3240/mainpageS3240P8.html
http://www.linkedin.com/in/peistation
http://people.apache.org/committer-index.html#chenpei