ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Hephaestus Studio <hephaestus.stu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next cTAKES release (3.1)?
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2013 21:45:45 GMT
@Andy - Not a doctor yet, but soon! Thanks for the promotion though, one more year!

- Apropos meds or clinical type questions: any developer on here can feel free to shoot me
a quick question via the list anytime, Id be happy to confirm that a drug or anything else
makes since given a particular clinical/note context.

- "I wonder if there is someway in which you could guide us in making better use of the medical
knowledge sources (ontologies) that are available." - I'd be happy to brainstorm about using
existing resources to help in decision making. We use these all the time in the clinic.

@ Tim+Andy+Chen - I haven't had a chance to really start chewing into the code, though I hope
to over the next year; so, what kind of examples would be most helpful?
    - Any particular disease processes?
    - Are you all familiar with the ubiquitous SOAP style presentation that doctors use to
write free notes? The few examples I clicked through in the repository that Chen pointed me
too are very sparse. Would we want gradations? E.g., a scale for "well done" notes to "very
quick I-dont-care-because-I'm-in-a-rush" notes?

@ Chen - Thank you for the kind words. It's nice to be welcomed by a community in which you
hope to integrate. And thank you for pointing me to the directory with the current sample
notes. This was very helpful in determining where those are at in there development. I know
that each of your hospitals have a wealth of HIPAA-closed notes, but I'll see what I can do
to make some "stereotypical" open-notes for common disease presentations. Again: maybe a scale,
not necessarily just on brevity but some other metric, whose continuum represented various
permutations of degrees of something, maybe of difficulty in processing? Apropos code, Chen:
I will help where I can but where I want to be is elbow deep in the code :)

Finally: I haven't had a chance to look into some of the links from earlier in this thread
regarding open access repositories of free text clinical notes: what do you all feel the quality
of these resources are? Abundant but low quality? Paucity but those that are there are high
quality?

Bottom line: no problem either answering contextual questions (can afib be associated with
a lower gi bleed??) and no problem writing some notes, only question would be, before I put
in any time: what disease/specialty domain? and would we want some system that put them on
a continuum of some variable, say, brevity or "readability"?

Just thinking before leaping,

Thanks,
JG

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 2, 2013, at 21:23, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Hi John,
> Welcome!  There are actually many ways to contribute and it's not limited to just code.
 It's always great to hear new ideas and suggestions on how to improve the software.  Therefore
even, things like user feedback, documentation, new use cases, essentially anything that will
make things better would be awesome!

> To get started, I would suggest subscribing to the email lists.  If you would like to
contribute anything, just create an Jira account (anyone should be able to do this), and add/review
Jira items (add attachments if you like) and we can even help integrate it.

> We normally use Jira to keep track of issues:
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ctakes
>
> Current collection of sample test notes that have been collected over the years:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/trunk/ctakes-regression-test/testdata/input/plaintext/

student rounding the bend toward my MD. I used to be a computer programmer, however, and continue
my own projects. Im very interested in contributing eventually to cTakes development. In the
meantime, given the current talk of examples, if any domain specific examples needed generated
I am domain knowledgable enough that I could pound out a few free text notes made to order.

>> Let me know, you all may already have docs on hand willing todo this, but if not...
>>
>> John Green
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On Jun 28, 2013, at 8:59, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I completely agree with making cTAKES easier use.  I think it is exciting to
hear the different use cases here and understanding where some of the areas that need improvements
are (which we haven't thought about earlier).
>>> I think Tim's suggestions and the 3 concrete actionable items makes a lot of
sense.  Hopefully it should attract new users, adopters, and perhaps more committers.

>>> I think Java developers are accustomed to including a library as a dependency/jar,
have an API to pass input, and get the results via pojos;  So the examples could initially
shield the complexity of wiring a pipeline together etc.
>>> If we can improve the API's and how it gets integrated with other apps, we can
add any GUI/CLI tools on top of this afterwards.

>>> --Pei

SVMs

more users AND

the next release