ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: supported java releases in current ctakes development and future releases (3.1 and later)
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2013 14:34:36 GMT
I think we should just dive in and plan on Java 1.7 for the 3.1 release.  I am hoping it won't
delay the release, but if it does delay the release, I think it will be worth it.  I have
been running cTAKES 3.0.0 with java7 occasionally and have not run into problems.

For reference: the UIMA 2.4.0 documentation [1] says "As of release 2.2.1, the UIMA SDK requires
a Java 1.5 level (or later). ... The release has been tested with Java 5 and 6. It has been
tested on mainly on Windows XP and Linux Intel 32bit platforms, with some testing on the MacOSX.
Other platforms and JDK implementations will likely work, but have not been as significantly
tested."

Pei, when you wrote "still test and verify (not just cTAKES, but our dependencies as well)"
did you have a specific plan in mind for testing our dependencies other than testing them
indirectly by testing cTAKES (by running the cTAKES regression tests etc)

[1] http://uima.apache.org/d/uimaj-2.4.0/overview_and_setup.html#ugr.faqs.levels_required

-- James

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-return-1665-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org [mailto:dev-return-1665-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Chen, Pei
Sent: Monday, June 03, 2013 3:42 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: RE: supported java releases in current ctakes development and future releases (3.1
and later)

I believe so; do you know which component you were planning to require the java 1.7 features?
(existing component or new?)
The one consideration is that if 3.1 is planned to be cut from trunk and released soon (end
of this month?), it may be a good idea to isolate the project first (such as sandbox if it's
a new component or a temp branch); just in case there isn't enough time or issues with 1.7
testing.  My initial 2 cents...

--Pei