ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?
Date Sat, 01 Jun 2013 18:23:19 GMT
+1
Sounds like a good plan.

On Jun 1, 2013, at 7:54 AM, "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Miller@childrens.harvard.edu>
wrote:

> Maybe a good way to do this is to create a big jira and break it up into
> module-level jira's, then assign a person to each, and for each module:
> 1) Upgrade pom to latest release for modules being used
> 2) Recompile/retrain/retest and check in
> 3) Close jira for that module
>
> Then have one last issue that is to
> 1) upgrade project-level pom managed versions to latest release
> 2) revert module-level poms to use managed versions
> 3) run tests and checkin
>
> How does that plan sound?
> Tim
>
> On 05/30/2013 11:06 PM, Steven Bethard wrote:
>> On May 30, 2013, at 8:38 PM, "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.James@mayo.edu> wrote:
>>> As a first pass, can we update the dependency to ClearTK 1.4.0 without retraining
the models --  would retraining be necessary even if we didn't switch to LIBLINEAR.
>> Retraining might still be necessary for anything that uses CleartkExtractor, since
generation of out-of-bounds features has improved:

>> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cleartk-users/KS2BLQcT-ds
>>
>> But anything not using CleartkExtractor should be safe. And even the things that
are using CleartkExtractor may not degrade much if the out-of-bounds features aren't very
important. But we'd need to test it a bit to see.

>> Steve
>>

>>> Just wonder if we have an option for staging this, in case we can't tackle it
all now.

On Behalf Of Steven Bethard
>>> Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:45 PM
>>> To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>> Subject: upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?
>>>
>>> I just released ClearTK 1.4.0 and there are a couple of reasons we should probably
consider updating the cTAKES dependency:

>>> (1) ClearTK 1.4.0 can now load trained models from the classpath, so we could
get rid of the workaround org.apache.ctakes.relationextractor.ae.RelationExtractorAnnotator.allowClassifierModelOnClasspath.

>>> (2) ClearTK 1.4.0 has wrappers for multi-class classification with LIBLINEAR
which is orders of magnitude faster than LIBSVM.

>>> The main downside is that models will have to be re-trained. (It's not necessarily
the case that all models would need to be retrained, depending on exactly which classes they
were using, but it's probably safer to do so.)

>>> I believe this would mostly affect ctakes-temporal, ctakes-relation-extractor
and ctakes-assertion.

>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> P.S. I noticed that ctakes-assertion declares a dependency on cleartk-examples.
The cleartk-examples module was never intended for release, and has not been released as part
of ClearTK 1.4.0. Looking at the code, it seems like the dependency in cleartk-examples is
not needed, but perhaps a ctakes-assertion person could weigh in on why this dependency was
there?