ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: Aren't the *-res dependencies backwards?
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 00:32:47 GMT

On Jun 3, 2013, at 1:35 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Has anyone tried maven's <runtime/> scoped dependency?
> The primary requirement is not to require developers/users to download large models (*-res
projects) if they just want to use the cTAKES code.
> After some tinkering, I think what the ideal solution is not to delete them from the
pom's, but rather scope the *-res dependencies to "runtime"- wanted to ping those who may
have had some experience with this- does maven still download the runtime scoped libs if you
just need the code?
> Example from ctakes-core/pom.xml would be:
> <dependency>
> 		<groupId>org.apache.ctakes</groupId>
> 		<artifactId>ctakes-core-res</artifactId>
> 		<scope>runtime</scope>
> </dependency>

I've never declared something as "runtime" scope but the Maven documentation suggests that
only "provided" dependencies are not transitive:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-dependency-mechanism.html#Dependency_Scope

Looking around a bit, I think maybe we should be using optional dependencies here:

"Optional dependencies are used when it's not really possible (for whatever reason) to split
a project up into sub-modules. The idea is that some of the dependencies are only used for
certain features in the project, and will not be needed if that feature isn't used. Ideally,
such a feature would be split into a sub-module that depended on the core functionality project...this
new subproject would have only non-optional dependencies, since you'd need them all if you
decided to use the subproject's functionality.
However, since the project cannot be split up (again, for whatever reason), these dependencies
are declared optional."
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-optional-and-excludes-dependencies.html

This sounds like our situation: ideally (from a Maven point of view), the code that depended
on the full models would be split into a separate sub-module. But if we don't want to do that,
we can declare the dependency as optional.

I believe if we declare the *-res dependencies as optional then:

(1) XXX can depend on XXX-res and compile and run its tests as usual
(2) If YYY depends on XXX, it won't transitively include the XXX-res dependency. (If the XXX-res
dependency is needed in YYY, it will have to be declared explicitly.)

I think that sound about like what we want, right?

Steve