ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 22:45:01 GMT
I just released ClearTK 1.4.0 and there are a couple of reasons we should probably consider
updating the cTAKES dependency:

(1) ClearTK 1.4.0 can now load trained models from the classpath, so we could get rid of the
workaround org.apache.ctakes.relationextractor.ae.RelationExtractorAnnotator.allowClassifierModelOnClasspath.

(2) ClearTK 1.4.0 has wrappers for multi-class classification with LIBLINEAR which is orders
of magnitude faster than LIBSVM.

The main downside is that models will have to be re-trained. (It's not necessarily the case
that all models would need to be retrained, depending on exactly which classes they were using,
but it's probably safer to do so.)

I believe this would mostly affect ctakes-temporal, ctakes-relation-extractor and ctakes-assertion.

Thoughts?

Steve

P.S. I noticed that ctakes-assertion declares a dependency on cleartk-examples. The cleartk-examples
module was never intended for release, and has not been released as part of ClearTK 1.4.0.
Looking at the code, it seems like the dependency in cleartk-examples is not needed, but perhaps
a ctakes-assertion person could weigh in on why this dependency was there?