ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 02:38:25 GMT
As a first pass, can we update the dependency to ClearTK 1.4.0 without retraining the models
--  would retraining be necessary even if we didn't switch to LIBLINEAR.

Just wonder if we have an option for staging this, in case we can't tackle it all now.

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-return-1646-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org [mailto:dev-return-1646-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Steven Bethard
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:45 PM
To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?

I just released ClearTK 1.4.0 and there are a couple of reasons we should probably consider
updating the cTAKES dependency:

(1) ClearTK 1.4.0 can now load trained models from the classpath, so we could get rid of the
workaround org.apache.ctakes.relationextractor.ae.RelationExtractorAnnotator.allowClassifierModelOnClasspath.

(2) ClearTK 1.4.0 has wrappers for multi-class classification with LIBLINEAR which is orders
of magnitude faster than LIBSVM.

The main downside is that models will have to be re-trained. (It's not necessarily the case
that all models would need to be retrained, depending on exactly which classes they were using,
but it's probably safer to do so.)

I believe this would mostly affect ctakes-temporal, ctakes-relation-extractor and ctakes-assertion.

Thoughts?

Steve

P.S. I noticed that ctakes-assertion declares a dependency on cleartk-examples. The cleartk-examples
module was never intended for release, and has not been released as part of ClearTK 1.4.0.
Looking at the code, it seems like the dependency in cleartk-examples is not needed, but perhaps
a ctakes-assertion person could weigh in on why this dependency was there?