ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: files vs strings in collection reader
Date Tue, 07 May 2013 19:44:48 GMT
I don't think that File instantiation is more slow than the ae process, and Tim is talking
about tens of thousands of files in the directory tree.

The only filesystem call that should exist in any new File(..) is a normalize(..) or resolve(..)
on the passed parameter(s), which should just be string manipulation and no actual io calls,
native or otherwise.  In other words, new File(..) should be fast.

-----Original Message-----
From: ksarma@gmail.com [mailto:ksarma@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Karthik Sarma
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 3:26 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: files vs strings in collection reader

Hmm, without having actually reviewed the code in cTAKES (I'm not on my work computer), my
understanding of the "correct" way of doing this is to use the listFiles method on the directory
File to get an array of Files; this should be implemented natively by the JVM and could be
faster than individual initialization.

--
Karthik Sarma
UCLA Medical Scientist Training Program Class of 20??