ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?
Date Fri, 31 May 2013 03:06:18 GMT
On May 30, 2013, at 8:38 PM, "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.James@mayo.edu> wrote:
> As a first pass, can we update the dependency to ClearTK 1.4.0 without retraining the
models --  would retraining be necessary even if we didn't switch to LIBLINEAR.

Retraining might still be necessary for anything that uses CleartkExtractor, since generation
of out-of-bounds features has improved:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cleartk-users/KS2BLQcT-ds

But anything not using CleartkExtractor should be safe. And even the things that are using
CleartkExtractor may not degrade much if the out-of-bounds features aren't very important.
But we'd need to test it a bit to see.

Steve

> Just wonder if we have an option for staging this, in case we can't tackle it all now.

On Behalf Of Steven Bethard
> Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:45 PM
> To: ctakes-dev@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: upgrade ClearTK dependency to 1.4.0?
>
> I just released ClearTK 1.4.0 and there are a couple of reasons we should probably consider
updating the cTAKES dependency:

> (1) ClearTK 1.4.0 can now load trained models from the classpath, so we could get rid
of the workaround org.apache.ctakes.relationextractor.ae.RelationExtractorAnnotator.allowClassifierModelOnClasspath.

> (2) ClearTK 1.4.0 has wrappers for multi-class classification with LIBLINEAR which is
orders of magnitude faster than LIBSVM.

> The main downside is that models will have to be re-trained. (It's not necessarily the
case that all models would need to be retrained, depending on exactly which classes they were
using, but it's probably safer to do so.)

> I believe this would mostly affect ctakes-temporal, ctakes-relation-extractor and ctakes-assertion.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Steve
>
> P.S. I noticed that ctakes-assertion declares a dependency on cleartk-examples. The cleartk-examples
module was never intended for release, and has not been released as part of ClearTK 1.4.0.
Looking at the code, it seems like the dependency in cleartk-examples is not needed, but perhaps
a ctakes-assertion person could weigh in on why this dependency was there?