ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Google Summer of Code 2013 for cTAKES
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:53:35 GMT
Hi cTAKES committers,

If you have time to potentially mentor a student, please consider GSoC[1] :

Mentor registration is open now.  Students can begin applications in April 22, 2013.

I think this is such a great program- Students get a $5000 stipend and potentially grows the
Apache cTAKES as well as additional coding resources.

For cTAKES mentors (I signed up as a mentor already but encourage other committers to participate
if they're available):

1) If you have an interested problem/proposal, just create a Jira item and mark it with a
'gsoc2013','mentor','newdev' label. And then Wait for students who may be interested in it.
 For example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4922

2) If you already have students in mind, you can also approach them.  But don't make promises,
they will be judged by their proposals alone.

---

If you want to mentor a project in this year's SoC you will have to

1. Be an Apache committer.

2. Register with Melange and set up a profile [3].

3. Add your username (formerly known as link_id) to [4]. This is NOT your email address but
your Melange username. You can find it at the top of any page once you are logged in.

4. Request an acknowledgement from the PMC for which you want to mentor projects. Use the
below template and do not forget to copy code-awards@apache.org<mailto:code-awards@apache.org>.

5. Once a PMC member acknowledges the request to mentor, and only then, go to [2] and click
the "Start a connection" button.

[1] https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2013

[2] https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2013/apache

[3] https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2013