ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <eck...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: uima parameters vs. resources (ctakes-dependency-parser)
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 12:55:03 GMT
Am 05.03.2013 um 13:33 schrieb Steven Bethard <steven.bethard@Colorado.EDU>:

> On Mar 4, 2013, at 1:28 PM, "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Miller@childrens.harvard.edu>
wrote:
>> The question of when to use uima descriptor parameters vs resources has come up offline
recently.  My understanding is that resources are valuable for things like large model files,
where it can be loaded once by UIMA and then shared between pipelines. I happened to notice
that in the dependency parser, which has an uncommonly large model file, the model filename
is a parameter, and from what I can tell the model will be loaded separately for each pipeline.
 Is this something that should be fixed or is there some reasoning against using the resource
mechanism in this instance or in general?

> It's definitely something that should be fixed.

Typically, even with resources, the model is loaded separately for each pipeline. That is
because UIMA does not support sharing pre-created objects. The model is shared only when multiple
AEs or multiple instances of the same AE in a single pipeline (AAE) use the model - e.g. when
using running a CPE. Then, UIMA will instantiate the model (as opposed to using a pre-existing
instance) and pass it to the different AE instances.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universit├Ąt Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de