ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@Colorado.EDU>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Where should cTAKES models live?
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 18:05:32 GMT
On Mar 15, 2013, at 4:39 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
> So the question is: What should we do with the model files?  Some options include:
>
> 1)      Leave them in SourceForge/Maven Central.  Maven can download and include them
in the convenience binaries in the ctakes-distribution project. Something we did quickly for
3.0, but needs to be improved if we go with this approach.  For example: [2]

> 2)      Leave them in the ASF repo, but separate modules/projects.
>
> 3)      Keep them in the same respective ASF modules under /src/main/resources
>
> I think it's nice to keep these fairly large (~1GB) and static resource files separate
from the source code (Either option 1 or 2).  Also, option 1 will require a little more work
by the committers/release managers but will definitely avoid any licensing issues/concerns.

I'd definitely vote for (2). That makes releases much easier than if you have to coordinate
between the ASF and Sourceforge repositories, but also allows people to depend on the code
in a module without also pulling in all the models as well. (This would make a lot of sense
even now, for example, in ctakes-temporal which depends on ctakes-relation-extractor only
for the relation extraction framework and not for the location_of and degree_of models.)

Steve