crunch-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Quinn <j...@nuna.com>
Subject Re: Crunch Planner Hint to Not Combine Tasks
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 17:00:24 GMT
Hey Landon,

Our team has dealt with this exact problem before. Our solution was to call
PCollection#write after each DoFn or string of DoFns then call
Pipeline#run, which will do an iteration of crunch planning / job
submission, then use that same PCollection object for the next round of
DoFns, call #write, and then #call run again, etc.

#parallelDo -> #write -> #run -> repeat

The importance of calling #write is that it the crunch planner will not
actually do any work unless it has seen that there is at least one
materialization of the data. This technique allows you to guarantee your
DoFns are segmented into different MR jobs, as DoFns cannot be combined if
they are already completed.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

--
*DISCLAIMER:* The contents of this email, including any attachments, may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary in nature, protected