crunch-user mailing list archives

From Everett Anderson <ever...@nuna.com>
Subject Multiple file inputs to Maps & HDFS issues
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2015 01:44:48 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to understand a little about how Crunch and Hadoop handle
multiple file inputs to a Map and if there are multiplicative I/O effects
that might trouble HDFS.

We have an extract/transform pipeline in Crunch that we run with the Hadoop
MapReduce pipeline implementation on AWS EMR 4.1 (Hadoop 2.6.0).

In our situation, a given file may contain many record types, one per line,
and we have DoFns and FilterFns that detect and separate out a given record
type.

Recently, as we've gotten more data, we've started running into what seems
like HDFS data node issues -- it seems like we're overloading them and then
they fail to replicate blocks, leading to job failures.

One failing case has 4 input files of about 50 GB each. Our Crunch dotfile
looks like this:

‚Äč
Not shown is the fact that in the middle there's a Crunch union of the 4
PTables, and it's on the union that the record-specific extractors (W1-W9)
run.

In this situation, is the unit of work / shard going into the Map a single
input split from any one of the 4 files?

Would Crunch or Hadoop re-read any of the files multiple times?

Do you see any situation in which more total I/O would be performed that
just the sum of the input file sizes and the sum of the outputs of W1-W9?

Thanks!

- Everett

--
*DISCLAIMER:* The contents of this email, including any attachments, may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary in nature, protected