crunch-user mailing list archives

From Danny Morgan <unlucky...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Trouble with Avro records
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:11:15 GMT
Hi Josh,

This work around with:

AvroMode.setSpecificClassLoader(CLASS.class.getClassLoader());

Doesn't seem to work after upgrading to crunch 0.11. If I don't set a specific class loader
at all it doesn't work either.

:(

-Shant

From: josh.wills@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:33:40 -0700
Subject: Re: Trouble with Avro records
To: user@crunch.apache.org

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Danny Morgan <unluckyboy@hotmail.com> wrote:

Awesome adding:

AvroMode.setSpecificClassLoader(Visit.class.getClassLoader());

Did the trick, thanks Josh!

Do you mind clarifying when to use  Avros.records()
versus Avros.specifics() or Avros.reflects()?

Oops, yes-- sorry about that. The records() method is defined on both the WritableTypeFamily
and the AvroTypeFamily as a method that is supposed to handle "arbitrary" data types that
aren't supported by the built-in POJO and Crunch Tuple methods. Fortunately/unfortunately,
the arbitrary data types depends on the backing implementation: for Writables, records() only
really supports classes that implement Writable, and for Avros, records() checks to see if
the class implements SpecificRecord (at which point it handles it using Avros.specifics) and
if it does not, passes it on to Avros.reflects.

I think that, like many thinks in Crunch, records() reflects an early and somewhat ill-advised
decision I made when I was first creating the API that I would likely do away with if I had
it to do over again. :)

Thanks Again!