crunch-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Single mapper spawned while processing a crunch table source formed out of multiple input files
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2014 08:32:30 GMT
Hi Som,

Crunch uses the CombineFileInputFormat to wrap large numbers of input files into a single
input split if the underlying files are small. As of Crunch 0.10.0 (not yet released), this
behaviour is disabled by default for file formats that are not built-in to Crunch, but I believe
in 0.9.x the CrunchCombineFileInputFormat will be used by default for all subclasses of FileInputFormat.

You should be able to disable this behaviour by calling formatBundle..set(RuntimeParameters.DISABLE_COMBINE_FILE,
"true") in your custom TableSource implementation.

I'm a little confused as to why only one mapper is being created if your input is indeed 366
GB -- from what I understand, CombineFileInputFormat is just supposed to combine small files
into a smaller number of splits. Could you give a bit more background on what your custom
source is doing? In any case, turning on DISABLE_COMBINE_FILE should get around this for now.

- Gabriel