crunch-user mailing list archives

From "Durfey,Stephen" <Stephen.Dur...@Cerner.com>
Subject Re: crunch 0.8.2+6-cdh4.4.0
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:18:33 GMT
Sorry for the initial confusion. The exceptions that I am seeing, look like were caused by
another exception way up in my console log (that I originally missed). I think the true exception
is an Avro exception. It is an Avro PType, and the original NPE is coming from the GenericData#getField,
when the GenericDatumWriter is serializing. The exception is for a null value in the org.apache.avro.mapred.Pair
(I believe this Pair is created in PairMapFn?)  object when expecting a specific type of Avro.
I'm having a difficult time figuring out what changed between versions. Without changing
anything in my code, and just changing Crunch versions causes these exceptions to be thrown.

- Stephen

From: Josh Wills <josh.wills@gmail.com<mailto:josh.wills@gmail.com>>
Date: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 at 4:08 PM
To: "user@crunch.apache.org<mailto:user@crunch.apache.org>" <user@crunch.apache.org<mailto:user@crunch.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: crunch 0.8.2+6-cdh4.4.0

Hey Stephen,

Slightly confused here, question inlined.

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Durfey,Stephen <Stephen.Durfey@cerner.com<mailto:Stephen.Durfey@cerner.com>>
wrote:
This question is specifically about this version maintained by Cloudera.

I was looking to update out Crunch version from 0.8.0-cdh4.3.0 to 0.8.2+6-cdh4.4.0. In the
process some of our tests starting failing from NullPointerExceptions. I’ve discovered why
these exceptions are happening, but I’m having trouble tracking down the where.

The exceptions occur when we emit a Pair<POJO, null> that uses an Avro PType. Previously
this worked just fine, and by the time the CrunchOutputs started writing to a sequence file
the value would be an instance of NullWritable, and it would successfully pull off the output
type for serialization (in SequenceFile.BlockCompressWriter#append(k, v)). After the version
change the value when it got down to write to a sequence file was 'null', rather than NullWritable.

It's an AvroType that's getting written to a Sequence File? Is that right?

Any thoughts?

- Stephen
may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024<tel:%28%2B1%29%20%28816%29221-1024>.