crunch-user mailing list archives

From "Durfey,Stephen" <Stephen.Dur...@Cerner.com>
Subject crunch 0.8.2+6-cdh4.4.0
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:59:48 GMT
This question is specifically about this version maintained by Cloudera.

I was looking to update out Crunch version from 0.8.0-cdh4.3.0 to 0.8.2+6-cdh4.4.0. In the
process some of our tests starting failing from NullPointerExceptions. I’ve discovered why
these exceptions are happening, but I’m having trouble tracking down the where.

The exceptions occur when we emit a Pair<POJO, null> that uses an Avro PType. Previously
this worked just fine, and by the time the CrunchOutputs started writing to a sequence file
the value would be an instance of NullWritable, and it would successfully pull off the output
type for serialization (in SequenceFile.BlockCompressWriter#append(k, v)). After the version
change the value when it got down to write to a sequence file was 'null', rather than NullWritable.

Any thoughts?

- Stephen