crunch-user mailing list archives

From Josh Wills <josh.wi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ability to specify a combiner (with different signature than reducer)
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:36:40 GMT
FWIW, what I usually do in these situations (and they seem to come up a lot
for machine learning projects) is use a combiner with a post-processing
reducer that has a different signature. Chao's case is a little different
because the DoFn needs to know whether it's in the combiner or the reducer
contexts, but the Crunch framework knows this via the NodeContext, so there
must be a way to communicate this to the CombineFn. If there isn't, we
should make a change to expose it.

For this example, the output of both my Combiner and my Reducer would be a
Collection<Integer>, and if I was in the reducer case, I would emit just a
single Integer to that collection (the max from that combiner), and if I
was in the reducer context, I would emit the entire Iterable<Integer> as a
Collection<Integer>. Then I would have a post-processing MapFn that would
take the values from the Collection<Integer> and join them to a string.