crunch-user mailing list archives

From Josh Wills <josh.wi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple output channels from Crunch DoFn
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2013 21:42:25 GMT
On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Inman,Brandon <Brandon.Inman@cerner.com>wrote:

>  I like the flexibility of this approach, although would the idea of
> having some official constants defined for a small set of standard channels
> be reasonable (the concepts of "out" and "error" are pretty common, others
> may be warranted as well)?

So I think the way I would handle this would be having a main output
directory and an error output directory that was underneath it. Cascading
does this trick within their existing flows where you can throw exceptions
to "traps," which is essentially the same idea, though I'm not wild about
control flow that relies on throwing exceptions.

>  Is this something that you would see being added to core Crunch APIs
> (for example, directly to Pipeline), or implemented on top of Crunch with a
> filtering approach similar to my original post?  If it's implemented on
> top, shouldn't materialization work as-is?

Yes, your model would be simpler. I think that mine would require a special
kind of Target implementation, a custom implementation of the Emitter
interface that would be used for routing the outputs of the DoFn, and
possibly some post-processing code to move the data to a sensible place. I
don't know if that work is strictly necessary, and your impl is certainly
much more straightforward than mine. :)

>  If the type was PTable<String, T>, could Union<S,U> be a choice for T as
> appropriate? In our case, we would likely be looking at a PTable<String, T
> extends SpecificRecordBase> and not necessarily need Union with this
> approach.

Yeah, I think it would be fine, but we'd have to be cognizant of it when we
were implementing the union type, and it would be up to the client to
ensure that the right data type ended up in the right file, which is maybe
less good?