crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Crunch 0.9.0 RC0
Date Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:17:46 GMT
On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM, Gabriel Reid <gabriel.reid@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> I noticed that there are two source distributions: the "default"
>> version, and the hadoop2 version. I'm guessing this is nothing new and
>> I just missed it in the past, but I want to be sure: is this the
>> intention? I thought that we only made two separate binary releases,
>> and a single source release.
>

> It isn't new; the mvn release scripts build both the src and bin versions
> for hadoop1 and hadoop2, and I generally only push the default src packages
> to the release dir. I just happened to copy both of them this time; it's no
> problem to remove them from the RC to ensure no one is confused.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think that there's a big need to
remove the hadoop2 src release, I just hadn't noticed it in the past,
which isn't a problem.

>> Related to this, I also saw that the version pointed to by the release
>> tag in git has the 0.x.x-hadoop2 release, which I guess means that
>> there isn't a release tag for the "default" release version. Is that
>> correct, and/or the intention?
>

> So I have to do the release runs twice, once w/ -Dcrunch.platform=2 and once
> without, and after I run the first one, I have to run a git reset to do the
> next one. There isn't any source difference that results from the maven
> tagging, it's just a function of the order that I happen to do the mvn
> release runs.

Ok, so if I understand correctly, this means RC tag on the 0.x.x
version gets overwritten to point to the 0.x.x-hadoop2  version. I
guess this is nothing to hold up the release, but it does seem like
something that should be improved in the release process somehow
(although I don't know how), because checking out the release tag now
will give you a source tree where the version is 0.x.x-hadoop2 (which
seems a bit weird).

That being said, it's a +1 from me to release. I verified the
signatures, verified contents of tar.gz distributions vs zip
distributions, sucessfully ran full unit and integration tests, and
compared the source distribution to the git tagged version.

- Gabriel