crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Micah Whitacre <mkw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Process of CombineFn<S,T> returns <S,U>?
Date Fri, 18 Oct 2013 01:47:52 GMT
Chandan,
   So let's apply your situation to the types and conversion that is
proposed and break it down where logic will be applied.  Say we have a
PCollection that is like the following:

Mapper 1:
<id1, "Hello">
<id2, "World">
<id1, "I like turtles">

Mapper 2
<id2, "Goodbye">

This will be represented by the PTable<String, Comment>.  We then apply a
MapFn to transform it into PTable<String, Book> and we'd get the following
in our PCollection:

Mapper 1
<id1, <"Hello", 1>>
<id2, <"World", 1>>
<id1, <"I like turtles", 1>>

Mapper 2
<id2, <"Goodbye", 1>>

Then if we were to use the GBK + CombineFn, the output of the map phase
would be..

Mapper 1
<id2, <"World", 1>>
<id1, <"I like turtles", 2>>

Mapper 2
<id2, <"Goodbye", 1>>

Notice Mapper 1 would only be emitting 2 items instead of 3 and therefore
less data is sent over the wire and has to be sorted.  Also in the reducer
after the GBK is completed the CombineFn would finish its work and you'd
get the following:

Reducer 1
<id2, <"Goodbye", 2>>
<id1, <"I like turtles", 2>>

The only case where this would not improve performance is if you never emit
data for the same key from the same mapper or your mapper doesn't reduce
the size of the data.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM, Chandan Biswas <cbiswas1983@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have PTable<String,Comment>. and getting after reduce PTable<String,
> Book>
>
> T--> Comment{ String comment, String author}, U--> Book{String id, String
> lengthiestComment, int noOfComments}
>
> But wanted to some aggregations in the map side based on some logic instead
> of all aggregations at reduce side.
> Yes in worst case, data flow over the n/w will remain same, but sorting
> will be improved.
>
> Thanks,
> Chandan
>

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Chandan Biswas <cbiswas1983@gmail.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah, I agree with Micah that it will not eliminate the reduce phase
> > > entirely. But the dummy object of U suggested by Josh (or converting
> to U
> > > type in map for every record)  will not improve performance because
> same
> > > amounts of records will be sorted and aggregated in the reduce phase.
> >

> > I don't think that's true-- the records of type U will be combined on the
> > map-side, which would reduce the amount of data that is pushed over the
> > network and improve performance.
> >
> > Can you give any additional details about what T and U are in this
> > scenario? :)
> >

> > > But
> > > my point is, can we improve it by applying a combiner where the
> combineFn
> > > provides output as different type. If we have same type, we can use the
> > > combiner to do some aggregation in map side which improves performance.
> > > But, can we have some mechanism by which the same advantage can be
> > achieved
> > > when combineFn emits different type. I think, emitting same type by
> > > CombineFn has restricted its use. Can we have new CombineFn that allows
> > us
> > > to output different type not only same type as input?

> > come
> is
> > before
> > where