crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Wills <jwi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Crunch release plan: 0.8.0 and HBase 0.96
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 03:43:32 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Gabriel Reid <gabriel.reid@gmail.com>wrote:

> Inlined below.
>
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> > That said, the
> > code changes that we'll need to make to get Crunch working against the
> 0.96
> > APIs are different enough from the 0.94 APIs that I feel like maintaining
> > some sort of compatibility layer in our code will be pretty ugly.
>
> Yep, that's definitely something we don't want to do unless we've got
> a good reason
> to do it.

> > I'm thinking along these lines:
> >
> > 1) Release 0.8.0 in the next couple of days against our current set of
> > dependencies (Hadoop and HBase.)
> > 2) Upgrade the Hadoop 2 dependency to Hadoop 2.2.0, which will also
> require
> > us to upgrade to protocol buffers 2.5.0 in the build-- I've already done
> > this and verified that everything works.
> > 3) Switch the HBase code to the 0.96 APIs, without trying to maintain
> > backwards compatibility with 0.94, and get everything working.
> > 4) Do the 0.9.0 release against with Hadoop 2 and HBase 0.96 as the
> default.
> >
> > I imagine that there will still be bugfixes against 0.8.0 (both core and
> > HBase) that will mean that we'll need to do 0.8.1, 0.8.2, etc. releases
> > support, and I'm happy to keep those up at a regular cadence.
>
> This works for me, but I wish we had a better idea of what the adoption of
> HBase 0.96 will be. I'm guessing it'll be pretty high, as people who are
> just
> using the normal client APIs have a less troublesome migration path than
> those working with MapReduce. On the other hand, it would be a bummer to
> shut out all the 0.94.x users if there isn't major adoption of 0.96 right
> away.
>
> Anyhow, like I said, I'm personally fine with just supporting 0.96 as I
> don't
> think it'll be a problem for me.

Yeah, it's a hard balance to strike. I fully expect that we will have
0.8.1, 0.8.2, etc. releases to bring some of the fixes we do in trunk to
the HBase 0.94-based Crunch, which will still be the major version for
awhile. The HBase folks consider 0.96 the future and the best version to
use w/Hadoop 2.2.0, so I'd like to pay whatever cost we have to pay in
terms of APIs and dependency changes all at once instead of piecemeal.

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera <http://www.cloudera.com>