crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Chandan Biswas <cbiswas1...@gmail.com>
Subject Process of CombineFn<S,T> returns <S,U>?
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2013 20:30:11 GMT
I was trying to refactoring some stuffs and trying to use combineFn.
But when I went into deeper, found that I can't do it as Crunch doesn't
allow it the functionality I needed. For example, I have a
PGroupedTable<S,T>. I wanted to apply CombineFn<S,T> on it and wanted to
get PCollection<S,U> instead of T. Right now, CombineFn allows only same
type as return value. The use case of this need is that there will be some
time saving in sorting. It's natural that when aggregating some objects at
map side can create a new different type object.

Any thought on it? Am I missing any thing? If this can be written in
different way using existing way please let me know.

Thanks
Chandan