crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Crunch release plan: 0.8.0 and HBase 0.96
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:23:36 GMT
Inlined below.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:

> That said, the
> code changes that we'll need to make to get Crunch working against the 0.96
> APIs are different enough from the 0.94 APIs that I feel like maintaining
> some sort of compatibility layer in our code will be pretty ugly.

Yep, that's definitely something we don't want to do unless we've got
a good reason
to do it.

> I'm thinking along these lines:
>
> 1) Release 0.8.0 in the next couple of days against our current set of
> dependencies (Hadoop and HBase.)
> 2) Upgrade the Hadoop 2 dependency to Hadoop 2.2.0, which will also require
> us to upgrade to protocol buffers 2.5.0 in the build-- I've already done
> this and verified that everything works.
> 3) Switch the HBase code to the 0.96 APIs, without trying to maintain
> backwards compatibility with 0.94, and get everything working.
> 4) Do the 0.9.0 release against with Hadoop 2 and HBase 0.96 as the default.
>
> I imagine that there will still be bugfixes against 0.8.0 (both core and
> HBase) that will mean that we'll need to do 0.8.1, 0.8.2, etc. releases to
> support, and I'm happy to keep those up at a regular cadence.

This works for me, but I wish we had a better idea of what the adoption of
HBase 0.96 will be. I'm guessing it'll be pretty high, as people who are just
using the normal client APIs have a less troublesome migration path than
those working with MapReduce. On the other hand, it would be a bummer to
shut out all the 0.94.x users if there isn't major adoption of 0.96 right away.

Anyhow, like I said, I'm personally fine with just supporting 0.96 as I don't
think it'll be a problem for me.

- Gabriel