crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thoughts on supporting HBase 0.96
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 07:15:43 GMT
On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 11:42 PM, Chao Shi <stepinto@live.com> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why needs another PTypeFamily here. I think we can
> > simply provide some pre-defined PTypes.
> >
> > interface HFilePTypes {
> >   static KEY_VALUE_PTYPE = xxx
> >   static PUT_PTYPE = xxx
> > }
> >

> Technically, every PType has to provide an implementation of the
> PTypeFamily getFamily() method-- even if it's just returning a dummy
> object.

Wouldn't a derived PType (like in o.a.c.types.PTypes) be a better fit here?

A whole new PTypeFamily sounds like a lot of work (unless maybe if it was a
subclass of one of the existing ones), and I think there's still a fair bit
of code
that assumes that Avro & Writable are the only two possible PTypeFamily
implementations.

- Gabriel