crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Wills <josh.wi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: graduation charter details
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 08:35:58 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:43 PM, Gabriel Reid <gabriel.reid@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM, Matthias Friedrich <matt@mafr.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, 2013-01-31, Josh Wills wrote:
> > > I was planning on using the graduation charter for Apache Flex as a
> > > baseline for our own vote:
> > >
> > > http://markmail.org/message/ps3rjgv76vlw4sh5
> > >
> > > My thought was to include all current committers as the initial
> members.
> >
> > Sounds good to me.
> >

> FWIW, this looks good to me too.
>

> > > For the VP/PMC chair role, I was going to nominate Matthias. I am
> firmly
> > of
> > > the opinion that he did more of the important-but-not-fun work that was
> > > required to turn Crunch into a real Apache project, and I felt like the
> > > honor of the first VP of Crunch as a TLP should go to him.
> > >
> > > With that said, Matthias, I don't want to impose any additional work on
> > you
> > > that you wouldn't be up for, so if you would like to decline, I would
> > > certainly understand.
> >
> > I'm flattered, thank you, but I have to decline. It's not about the time
> > or additional work - I'm definitely willing to help out in organizational
> > things like graduation or reporting duties, no matter who becomes PMC
> > chair. However, I think there's a candidate who's much better suited.
> >
> > I'm not sure how the nomination/election process works here, or if there
> > is one, but I'd like to nominate you, Josh. Crunch is your baby, you have
> > spent more time on it than anybody else - not just coding, but even more
> > imporantly in building a community. You are always willing to discuss
> > things, you stay polite even when you disagree and you make compromises
> > when the majority of the team wants to take a different road. That's
> > worth a lot, so I think you would be the perfect candidate.
> >

> Well, when Josh nominated you (Matthias) for the role, I felt that it was
> certainly
> by far the most logical decision, as it feels like you're made to do the
> job.
>
> However, it appears that among your many skills, you're also very good at
> making a case for Josh to be the PMC Chain :-)

Seriously. That was a really nice thing to say, Matthias-- thank you. I
hope you all know how much I enjoy working on this stuff with you. It is
the part of my work life that I enjoy the most.

I'm concerned about getting into one of those comical and cliched "you take
it, no you take it, no you take it" situations, and I just arrived back in
SF from a long week of travel. I'm going to sleep on it and see if I can
come up with a good counterargument. :-)