crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Chao Shi <stepi...@live.com>
Subject Re: About status web page
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2013 04:03:31 GMT
Yes, it is for debugging and monitoring.

I'm developing a complex pipeline (30+ MRs plus lots of joins). I have a
hard time to understand which part of the pipeline spends most running time
and how much intermediate output does it produce. Crunch's optimization
work is great, but it makes the execution plan difficult to be understood.
Each time I modified the pipeline, I have to dump the dot file and run
graphviz to generate a new picture and examine if there's anything wrong.

About security, I'm not familiar with how Hadoop does it. I will try to
reuse hadoop's HttpServer (does it have something to do with security?).
The bottom line is to make this feature disabled by default, and let users
enable it at their own risk.

If this feature is enabled, the user can choose to use unused port or
specified port. I haven't got an idea that how the user know the randomly
picked port (via log?) . I will be working on a prototype version first,
and see if the status page is generally useful.