crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Chao Shi <stepi...@live.com>
Subject About status web page
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 06:13:21 GMT
Hi Crunch Devs,

I'm interested in adding a web status page to crunch. I'm working on a
prototype first, which simply runs a jetty server and renders the dot file
produced by DotFileWriter at browser. The dot rendering work is done by
viz.js <https://github.com/mdaines/viz.js>. It can successfully render the
plan into SVG.

I think there are 2 issues I hit with viz.js:

1. The license of viz.js is unclear. It is compiled from GraphViz source
code with emscripten. GraphViz is Eclipse Public License 1.0.

2. viz.js is big and slow. It is a 1.4MB compressed JS. It takes 1 or 2
seconds on my laptop to render my pipeline (30+ MRs). I think it good to
have the graph refresh frequently and show the running status of the
pipeline (i.e. whether MRs are done or not). Thus the rendering time would
be too slow.

Another approach is to call graphviz command at server side, if viz.js is
not possible. I can't find any pure Java implementation of graphviz.

Looking forward to your advices.

Thanks,
Chao