crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Crunch 0.5.0 (incubating) RC0
Date Wed, 13 Feb 2013 18:20:40 GMT
Hi,

On Wednesday, 2013-02-13, Josh Wills wrote:
> Unfortunately, I'm not totally in a position to do it myself-- I'm pretty
> sure I would need some help from Matthias, who's tied up w/work commitments
> right now. There's some complexity around the creation of the Crunch
> Archetype under Hadoop-2 that I don't really grok and would make me unsure
> about the stability of a Hadoop-2 binary release under our current release
> process.

The Hadoop 1/2 switch in Maven is such a pain in the neck that I vowed
to stay away from that for a while. The tricky thing is to get correct
dependencies for the project generated by the archetype (dependencies
are quite different between Hadoop 1 and 2).

Also, validating a release is a lot of work already, I'd rather not
add even more artifacts to check.

If anyone really wants this, I'd review patches to make sure it works.
But unless you're a real wizzard, I predict pain and frustration for
everyone who tries ;-)

Regards,
  Matthias