crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com>
Subject Flume R -- any interest?
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:05:47 GMT
Hello,

I was pretty excited to learn of Google's experience of R mapping of
flume java on one of recent BARUGs. I think a lot of applications
similar to what we do in Mahout could be prototyped using flume R.

I did not quite get the details of Google implementation of R mapping,
but i am not sure if just a direct mapping from R to Crunch would be
sufficient (and, for most part, efficient). RJava/JRI and jni seem to
be a pretty terrible performer to do that directly.

on top of it, I am thinknig if this project could have a contributed
adapter to Mahout's distributed matrices, that would be just a very
good synergy.

Is there anyone interested in contributing/advising for open source
version of flume R support? Just gauging interest, Crunch list seems
like a natural place to poke.

Thanks .

-Dmitriy