crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Maven archetype for Crunch
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:04:47 GMT
Hi,

I think it would be a good idea to provide a Maven archetype for
Crunch to make it easier for users to play with it. I've created an
archetype [1] based on our example projects and uploaded it to my own
Maven repo for demo:

  mvn archetype:generate -DarchetypeCatalog=http://dev.mafr.de/repos/maven2/

Select the Crunch archetype, enter Maven coordinates and you'll get
a simple project with (hopefully) correct dependency setup and job
packaging. Crunch hit Maven Central this morning, so you don't even
need to mvn install Crunch first :)

Should we add the archetype to the Crunch code base? It's kind of
redundant (we have examples already), but it'll make writing a
"getting started" document for 0.4.0 really easy.

Another thing: In the archetype I had to add some dependencies that
are missing from hadoop-core but are needed to get LocalJobRunner
working. If we added those to Crunch, they would be added to the job
JAR's lib directory unnecessarily. But they don't cause any trouble
and it would make job setup easier for our users. What do you think?

Regards,
  Matthias

[1] hg clone http://dev.mafr.de/repos/hg/crunch-job-basic/