crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Re: Focus of our next release?
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 06:24:10 GMT
On Saturday, 2012-09-15, Josh Wills wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 7:44 AM, Matthias Friedrich <matt@mafr.de> wrote:
[...]

>> Josh, how many hours did the release process take approximately,
>> everything included?

> I wasn't really keeping track, just because I was doing other stuff while
> the release commands ran in the background. I think if you include my
> various screw-ups and learning how tools worked, it took about 6 hours, all
> in. The setup work that Matthias did makes performing a release
> ridiculously easy-- I just need to augment the wiki material w/the release
> candidate stuff and how to handle creating new RCs if the first one is a
> no-go.

Hmm, we won't get those Hudson-based one-button releases that I love
so much but I think with some practice and by improving the process we
*should* be able to get it down to around an hour. I'm definitely
willing to serve as release manager to share the work here. The more
people know how it's done, the better.

> I'm up for monthly releases if we have enough material to justify it,
> primarily because I'm interested in exiting the incubator just as soon as
> humanly possible.

+1. I think with our first release we achieved the most important
goal of incubation. Is there anything else we can do to speed things
up?

Regards,
  Matthias