crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de>
Subject Re: release preparation and Avro versioning
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2012 06:48:03 GMT
Hi,

On Tuesday, 2012-08-21, Josh Wills wrote:
> I just committed CRUNCH-16, which was the last of our open issues that I
> wanted to resolve before our first release. Although I look forward to the
> total ordering sort in CRUNCH-23 and refactoring the planner in CRUNCH-34,
> I feel fine holding off on them until the next release. If any of you feel
> differently or have any other features/bug fixes that you would like to get
> in, now would be a good time to discuss them and give an ETA on their
> arrival.

Great! I think with hardcoding the number of reducers to 1 in
CRUNCH-23 we're ready to go. Thanks for your help on CRUNCH-16, BTW.

> Following Matthias' release proposal, we should create a release
> branch and do the final preparations for the release against it. In
> my mind, that consists of removing the SNAPSHOT labels from the POMs

Fortunately, the release plugin handles the SNAPSHOT business
automatically. Except for compiling the change log, there shouldn't
be a lot to do on the release branch.

[...]
> There is no reason that we couldn't run with Avro 1.7.x on Hadoop 1.0.3 and
> run on Avro 1.5.x on Hadoop 2.0.0-alpha, but it feels a little odd to have
> users go backwards in terms of the capabilities of the API when they move
> to a later version of Hadoop. Therefore, I think that the release branch
> for Crunch 0.3.0 should default to using Avro 1.5.4 for both 1.0.3 and
> 2.0.0-alpha, in order to minimize the surprise that a new user would
> encounter in working with the release. We can of course have documentation
> on the Wiki explaining the issue and notifying users of how to upgrade
> their Avro version by changing the pom, as we verified that CRUNCH-16 will
> work on Avro 1.5.x, 1.6.x, and 1.7.x.

I have no production experience with Avro, but I'm all for documenting
the decision on the wiki or the README file.

> I am on vacation tomorrow through Sunday and will be out of phone/email/IM
> contact for that entire time. (I'm really looking forward to the downtime.)

Don't know what you mean, *this* is my vacation ;-)

I'm going to clean up Fix versions in JIRA for the change log. Next we
should decide on a release manager. Since Crunch is your baby I think
you have earned first choice on managing the first Apache release :)

Regards,
  Matthias