crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Wills <jwi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: avro 1.7.0: should we upgrade crunch?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:36:27 GMT
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Gabriel Reid <gabriel.reid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>> I saw Chris' tweet that Avro 1.7.0 was released-- thoughts on
>> upgrading? Does it buy us any good stuff we want?
>
> The fix of ReflectDatumReader not working correctly with Specific
> Records (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1046) would allow
> us to remove a fair bit of Avro code that works around that bug -- if
> we do do the upgrade, I'd certainly volunteer to weed out those
> workarounds.
>
> On the other hand, I just did a quick scan of the release notes for
> 1.7.0 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310911&version=12318848)
> and I didn't notice anything that would really be a big reason to
> upgrade right away.
>
> Are there any reasons *not* to upgrade (other than risks of something
> else being broken)? Maybe the cleanup of the Avro code that we can do
> is reason enough to do the upgrade.

+tom explicitly

I remember having a bunch of frustrations with 1.6.0 and having to
stay on 1.5.4 for longer than I wanted because of some critical bugs
that didn't get fixed until 1.6.2, but I also think the move from
1.5.4 to 1.6.0 involved a much larger rewrite than what I see from the
release notes for 1.7.0. Tom White is traveling across the US right
now, but I'm wondering if he has a feel for whether 1.7.0 is likely to
contain any dragons. :)

--
Director of Data Science
Cloudera