crunch-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: avro 1.7.0: should we upgrade crunch?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:28:17 GMT
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Josh Wills <jwills@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I saw Chris' tweet that Avro 1.7.0 was released-- thoughts on
> upgrading? Does it buy us any good stuff we want?

The fix of ReflectDatumReader not working correctly with Specific
Records (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1046) would allow
us to remove a fair bit of Avro code that works around that bug -- if
we do do the upgrade, I'd certainly volunteer to weed out those
workarounds.

On the other hand, I just did a quick scan of the release notes for
1.7.0 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310911&version=12318848)
and I didn't notice anything that would really be a big reason to
upgrade right away.

Are there any reasons *not* to upgrade (other than risks of something
else being broken)? Maybe the cleanup of the Avro code that we can do
is reason enough to do the upgrade.

- Gabriel