creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Do we want to use the CMS?
Date Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:04:38 GMT
On 14 June 2016 at 07:49, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am quoting from a private mail with an Infra member:
>
>> > God, why can't we just have a single directory where we upload to? Or
>> > a simple SVN directory?
>

>> You can have that, but your project chose to use the CMS - if you want that to change,
I suggest > you discuss it in the project community.

> Well, when we made the decision, I haven't had the slightest idea
> about the CMS. Otherwise, I would have opposed to use it. In my
> opinion, it is a nightmare:
>
> * We've got to use SVN anyways, because we are using the site, which
> is generated by Maven.
>   (And I hope, we're not going to change that.)
> * The CMS is adding non-documented and unclear build steps, which I
> cannot fix. See
>   https://ci.apache.org/builders/creadur-site-staging/builds/1/steps/compile/logs/stdio
>   as an example.
>
> So, I'd like us to pick up the offer of a simple directory, which we
> can use to upload or commit
>  via SVN. At least, I know how to handle that.

The CMS works well for the ASF website as it enables quick and easy
updates to individual pages of the site.
It's also possible to edit pages in SVN and have these auto-built
ready for publication.
However the ASF site is not built using Maven; each page is separately
buildable.

I agree that Maven does not play particularly well with the CMS,
especially for multiple product TLPs like Creadur.
So I would be OK with dropping the CMS part.