creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RAT-190 - default encoding UTF-8 / patch / what should be implemented?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 23:53:53 GMT
On 23 February 2015 at 20:31, P. Ottlinger <pottlinger@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> thanks for all your input.
>
> Am 19.02.2015 um 11:30 schrieb Jochen Wiedmann:
>> My personal believe is, that a default doesn't make sense at all.

I tend to agree here.
But the behaviour on various systems needs to be checked.

>> Whatever you choose, you'll find people that cannot use it. For
>> example, in the case of UTF-8, I am quite certain that it will be
>> wrong for western europeans, like you and me.
>
> I don't really see your point in that - most *nix operating systems have
> UTF-8 as default encoding. The sense of UTF-8 is to provide a relatively
> broad compatibility in contrast to US-ASCII/CP1292 or other reduced
> charsets. Since UTF-16 exists UTF-8 is a compromise that should work for
> the majority of users - IMHO.

Probably does not work for MacOSX or Windows users.

This needs to be checked.

>> The only change, that I'd be in favour of would be to enforce an
>> explicit encoding. Or, in other words, throw an exception, if an
>> encoding (aka charset) isn't explicitly choosen.
>
> What do you think of adding two more configuration options in the
> mvn-plugin:
>
> defaultLocale - defaults to Locale.US

Why US?
What is the Locale used for?
And why should it differ from the user's Locale?

> defaultEncoding - defaults to UTF-8

Only if it can be shown to be useful on non-US non-Unix systems.