creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RAT-190 - default encoding UTF-8 / patch / what should be implemented?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:48:25 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 9:31 PM, P. Ottlinger <pottlinger@apache.org> wrote:

> What do you think of adding two more configuration options in the
> mvn-plugin:
>
> defaultLocale - defaults to Locale.US
> defaultEncoding - defaults to UTF-8

"Default" = What to choose, if the user doesn't specify anything. So,
I don't see any sense in specifying a default, apart from what Maven
gives us anyways:

  project.getBuild().getSourceEncoding()

or

  ${project.build.sourceEncoding}

Besides, a charset, or locale is sufficient. What would we need a
Locale for? We're not going to format numbers, or currency values,
aren't we?

What we should have, of course, is a Maven parameter

  encoding=${rat.encoding}

which might be used to overwrite the Maven default.

Jochen

--
Any world that can produce the Taj Mahal, William Shakespeare,
and Stripe toothpaste can't be all bad. (C.R. MacNamara, One Two Three)