creadur-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Ottlinger" <pottlin...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RAT-190 - default encoding UTF-8 / patch / what should be implemented?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2015 21:56:38 GMT
Hi Jochen,

thanks for your input -

Am 24.02.2015 um 15:48 schrieb Jochen Wiedmann:
> What we should have, of course, is a Maven parameter
>
>   encoding=${rat.encoding}
>
> which might be used to overwrite the Maven default.

I played around with the test project (attached to RAT-190) a bit.

If I run mvn on a Mac with -Dfile.encoding=CP-1292 it does not change
the mvn default encoding UTF-8 .... thus I doubt that an encoding
parameter would make sense.

Since we cannot manage to find a common denominator I'd suggest to not
change anything, but add a note to the webpage - can someone add
something like:

"Be aware to define a maven default encoding (e.g. via
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 or in your pom.xml) in case you define acceptable
licenses by yourself and have a mix of encodings in your source files.
RAT uses the maven default encoding while scanning your files and is not
able to detect a mix of encodings that may result in false alarms."

Would that note be a sufficient compromise?

I guess if we ever start RAT2 with the ability to scan in parallel we
should properly think about mixed encodings ;-D

Phil