creadur-dev mailing list archives

From "P. Ottlinger" <pottlin...@apache.org>
Subject RAT-190 - default encoding UTF-8 / patch / what should be implemented?
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2015 22:59:31 GMT
Hi *,

after finalizing the analysis on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-190
it seems that RAT is not explicit enough when it comes to encoding.

CAUSE/BUG BACKGROUND
If mvn is configured to run with a non UTF-8 encoding there will be
problems when matching UTF-8 content with licenses.

PATCH PROPOSAL
I've browsed over some of the code parts and added some "UTF-8" to make
it more explicit that UTF-8 should be the default. What do you think of
that proposal?

YOU FEEDBACK WANTED
1) Is it sufficient enough?
2a) Should we have a RAT configuration option to allow specific setting
of encodings? With UTF-8 as default if not configured/set otherwise.
2) Should we just use UTF-8 as default (hardcoded) and do not give the
user a chance to set the encoding to use.

IMPROVE TESTABILITY?
Since we seem to run with UTF-8 encoding in Jenkins we did not see these
problems before. Does anyone have a good idea on how to test this?
A UTF-8 encoded file should be analysed with mvn -Dfile.encoding!=UTF-8?

Cheers & thanks for any opinions :-)

Phil