creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1617205 - /creadur/rat/trunk/apache-rat-plugin/src/test/java/org/apache/rat/mp/RatCheckMojoTest.java
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:38:49 GMT
On 11 August 2014 11:17, P. Ottlinger <pottlinger@aiki-it.de> wrote:
> Hi Sebb,
>

> On 2014-08-11 12:09, sebb wrote:
>>
>> AFAICT the test does not detect the error.
>

> yes, that's why I was asking for proposals on how to test it ;-)
>

>> I think the problem is that the tests are run in a different environment.
>>
>> There probably needs to be an IT instead to run the code directly.
>> And this commit should probably be reverted, as it does not add anything.
>

> I see your point, but my commit ensures that during IT the project and its
> artifact lists is not null.

OK, then drop the references to the JIRA, as the checks aren't relevant to it.

> Obviously my test patch didn't catch the original NPE, but my checkin fixed
> the issue for your setup, didn't it?

Yes, the NPE disappeared.

> I tried some stackoverflowing but didn't find anything useful. Many people
> complain about the low testability of maven plugins.

I suspect the issue is documentation.
[I have had a quick look, and there seems to be nothing that explains
how to build IT tests in proper detail.]

As an experiment, I tried changing

apache-rat-plugin/src/test/invoker/it1/invoker.properties

to run the rat goal rather than check

This produced the NPE when I reverted the fix.
However, the test also fails with the fix, presumably because the goal
output is different.

I think there needs to be another IT with extra tests, but I have not
created any such items.
It should be possible to copy/adapt another IT test, but getting that
working properly might not be easy owing to the fragmented and
incomplete documentation.

I may give it a try, but no promises!