creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: RAT buildbot troubleshooting (ant task)
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2013 01:32:28 GMT
On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 5:52 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/02/13 23:05, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

>>      https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-6625
>
> Thanks. I've added a comment.

Thank you, your insights have allowed us to work around the problem.

>> It would be great if we could spare Infra from having to perform
>> time-consuming troubleshooting.  Do any obvious solutions present
>> themselves to our resident RAT experts when they see that output?  Upgrade
>> RAT on the buildslave?  Put something in our `rat-excludes` file other than
>> `.git/*` (which didn't seem to help)?
>
> I suspect that upgrading the Ant version would work, or adding a explicit
> fileset exclusion to the ant build task.
>
> I think it would be reasonable for Rat to maintain its own additional list
> of excluded directories independent of the build platform. I've opened a
> JIRA[1] but I think that this change would deserve some thought. So, I'm not
> proposing to address this for the 0.10 Rat release.

Perhaps a sample "exclusions" file instead which includes the line `.git/**`,
with a comment explaining the exclusion file syntax?  (Is the syntax different
when used in Ant vs. Maven?)  That would be less magical than hard-coding
exclusions into the RAT core.  All the projects that I've seen using RAT have
exclusions files, so practically speaking I think people will need their own
eventually, anyway.

Cheers,

Marvin Humphrey