creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Duplicate jars in binary archive
Date Sat, 06 Jul 2013 23:57:07 GMT
On 6 July 2013 20:15, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 06/27/13 12:04, sebb wrote:
>>
>> Just noticed that several of the jars are duplicated under lib/ in the
>> binary archive.
>>
>> What is the purpose of this?
>

> Not sure...
>
> I'm not a fan of the current binary archive. I'm in favour of a rethink...
>
> Do we need a binary distribution...?
>
> What would a binary distribution give beyond a runnable jar...?

In Commons binary archives contain the compiled jar(s), plus Javadoc
(unpacked), plus source examples (if any).

The Javadoc may not be so useful here, as RAT is not normally used as a library.

> Opinions...? Ideas...?

Using RAT from Maven is very easy, because the jars are pushed to Maven Central.

However, I did find it a bit awkard picking out the correct jars to
run with Ant.

Maybe the binary archive could contain directories for cli and Ant use.
Or maybe just create combined jars for CLI and ANT use, and add some
basic installation instructions.
That would be 3 or 4 files; should be easy to use.

There's no point including source or javadoc jars in the binary archive.