creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Duplicate jars in binary archive
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2013 10:02:42 GMT
On 07/07/13 00:57, sebb wrote:
> On 6 July 2013 20:15, Robert Burrell Donkin

<snip>

>> What would a binary distribution give beyond a runnable jar...?
>
> In Commons binary archives contain the compiled jar(s), plus Javadoc
> (unpacked), plus source examples (if any).

:-)

> The Javadoc may not be so useful here, as RAT is not normally used as a library.
>
>> Opinions...? Ideas...?
>
> Using RAT from Maven is very easy, because the jars are pushed to Maven Central.

+1

> However, I did find it a bit awkard picking out the correct jars to
> run with Ant.

<nod>

> Maybe the binary archive could contain directories for cli and Ant use.
> Or maybe just create combined jars for CLI and ANT use, and add some
> basic installation instructions.
> That would be 3 or 4 files; should be easy to use.

Yes, I think it should be easy enough to create a single jar suitable
for both CLI and Ant usage

And yes, an improved README sounds good

Perhaps more elegant to factor out clearly named modules for CLI and
assembly

I also favour removing/relocating the Python recursion script

> There's no point including source or javadoc jars in the binary archive.

+1

Robert