creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hartmann <mailbox....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PatternSyntaxException when trying rat -E
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 19:06:31 GMT
On 07.04.2013 21:09, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> Unfortunately, in this particular case, there is no such thing like "Rat",
> but there are
>
> a) the Rat Maven Plugin (uses Plexus Utils internally, hence Maven style)
> b) the Rat Ant Tasks (uses Ant pattern matcher internally, hence Ant style)
> c) the Rat CLI, which probably uses native Java patterns (dunno)
>
> My suggestion would be to switch to either Ant, or Maven anyways. (At
> least, I assume that Allura has got a build script.)
We do, but actually it's only there for convenience use with test
server. Had it not been the case, we probably wouldn't bother as Allura
is written in a dynamic language and the notion of "building" is kinda
alien in this world. So I wouldn't count on every project to have build
script :)

I'll probably resort to writing some simple build script in Ant for the
moment, but from a user standpoint I would definetly expect for
commandline to be compatible with pattern files for other "Rat's", as
you outlined. It is only reasonable to be able to test these patterns
with Rat c), without having to use an entirely new build system or to
switch from existing one, which ASF projects are probably accustomed to
and which may arguably suit their needs better.

Regards, Peter