creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [tentacles] Interfaces and Abstract Classes
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2013 08:02:43 GMT
For open source libraries, I think it worthwhile to invest extra effort
to maintain binary compatibility. So, (when creating libraries in Java)
I model interfaces as a empty abstract classes, allowing more
evolutionary freedom without breaking binary compatibility.

For application code, I think that it more obvious to model an interface
with an interface. When in this mode, I lean towards prefixing with 'I'
(rather than suffixing or prefixing implementations with Impl or Default).

I see tentacles as an application, so I lean towards conventional
application coding style and am less concerned about being able to
maintain binary compatibility going forward.

Opinions? Objections?

Robert