creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [tentacles] Factoring Out Nested Classes?
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:19:14 GMT
On 25 March 2013 12:11, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Tentacles uses a lot of nested classes. I tend to prefer to keep one class
> per file where possible (makes merging changes easier, for example) but I
> wanted to check whether there were any objections to me factoring out these
> classes - or whether anyone knows a reason why this might be a bad idea...?

Separate class files forces package protection where private might have been OK.
And separate package protected classes can be unit-tested.

However its public and protected access that cause long-term support
requirements if one wants to maintain binary compat.
So I don't think it's too big a deal.

However if the nested class is very small, leave it - it's clearer.