creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Include Source URLs in Generated LICENSE...?
Date Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:34:29 GMT
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:49 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 October 2012 21:12, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> Whisker[1] generates LICENSE and NOTICE documents from meta-data. An
>> optional source URL can be associated with each resource contained in a
>> distribution. Originally, this supported licenses which require the source
>> to be printed in the NOTICE but Apache CloudStack[2] would like to include a
>> source URL in the LICENSE. This would be unconventional but I'm not sure it
>> would be harmful.
>>
>> So, I'm leaning towards introducing a configuration allow this
>>
>> Opinions? Objections?
>
> The content of URLs can change, so provided the current content is
> included in the LICENSE file I don't see any harm in also including
> the URL from which it was derived.

Actually, and please do correct me if I don't understand the whisker
meta-data correctly, we (the CloudStack project) are using the
"source" attribute to provide a URL from which the reader can access
the source code of a dependency or included software artifact.  Have I
misunderstood that attribute?

> However, I don't think the LICENSE file should contain only the URL.
> Apart from the fact that the content might vary, the end-user should
> not have to go fetch another file - the LICENSE file should be
> complete.

Absolutely.  The actual license needs to be in the LICENSE file.