creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release Rat ...? [WAS Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum version of Maven to use the Rat plugin]
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2012 16:52:20 GMT
On 2012-11-04 16:14, Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> On 09/23/12 21:29, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Hi
>
> (Just trying to pick up where we are on this...)
>
>> In RAT-78 there is a request to upgrade to a newer version of Doxia.
>> That is a reasonable request given the fact that the current version we
>> are using is 1.0-alpha-8 which is *really* old.
>
> +1
>
>> Now, in order to decide which version of Doxia to use we need to first
>> define the minimum version of Maven we want to support. Currently our
>> plugin requires Maven 2.0.6 which came out in 2007. Over in Maven land
>> we currently target Maven 2.2.1 as the minimum version for our plugins.
>>
>> The reason for this question is because different versions of Maven
>> comes with different versions of Doxia. This is an unfortunate hard
>> connection between the two, but starting with Maven 3 there are no
>> longer any direct dependencies on Doxia in Maven core. See this wiki
>> page for some history in the matter:
>>
>> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Doxia+Release+Plan
>>
>> We really only have two choices:
>>
>> 1. Require Maven 2.0.11 and use Doxia 1.0.x
>>
>> 2. Require Maven 2.1.0+, which in reality means Maven 2.2.1 due to
>> technical reasons I won't go into here, and use Doxia 1.1+
>>
>> Unless anyone has strong objections I plan on going with option 2 here.
>
> +1
>
> AIUI Dennis has applied [1] and [2] (thanks :-)

You're welcome :-)

> Does it make sense to start working towards a new release...?

Yes, I think so. I have these things left on my todo list:

A. Rewrite site for core module, which is now in JIRA as RAT-123
B. Add xml schema to assembly descriptors and site descriptors, so that
they can be validated
C. Rewrite src/site/apt/site-publish.apt, given that we're not in the
incubator any more

- Robert has assigned A to himself.
- I'll take care of B tonight.
- We can probably do C as an exercise during the release, to bring it in
touch with reality

--
Dennis Lundberg